Friday, June 11, 2010

FRS 139


Last 3 days I was attending the FRS 139 training. It is full by managers and above position. Sitting there making me remembering the old time in Rate Fixing Meeting held monthly; talking about the profit, business directions, reserves, asset and valuation, most of all hedging and financial instruments. Topic discussed was never been alien to me, coz I have been exposed to those items since the moment joining the bank. What attracted me the most are issue of financial instruments including hedging, bonds, convertible debts, dealing with fair value and market rate, not to forget revaluation.

Remembered my time in Fixing Committee, every month struggling to maintain the best rate to give to depositors, while building up PER, worse case, CIMB Islamic was not that strong as it is now. Treasury has to do a lot of discount for other division, yeah they are amazing, best we ever had. Credit to Mr Mas'od Mazlan, Arman Saat and not to forgot Ms Haslinda. You guys are owesome in saving the banks's pocket. Speaking of Fixing Committee, many thanks to Mr Badlisyah, the CEO for his trust appointing me as one of them. It benefit me a lot.

Apart from that, this making me remembered my first time checking the treasury report, from the dealer and front office, to the back end processing, the placement, maturity, revaluation of financial instruments. Until now, I wonder how they could let me check and rectify the report, dealing with system guys, translating into the core system and putting the work flow. Tuan Ramlan and his attitude, leaving all the mess work to me.I was really blur and lost until that day. The day that "we" met by co-incidence. It still be a joke to you, right?

But, really thanks to En Taha and En Karim for helping me to understand the correct flow of instruments; and not to forget Ms Poh, yeah, coz of you, detected an error in revaluation is just piece of cake. You guys made me today, and I cannot stand before you to say how much I appreciate all the efforts and teaching you gave to me.

In summary, financial instruments, whether it is debt convertible, bonds, sukuk, hedging or whatever you call it, you need a correct market rate to apply it, it needs to be revalued and of course present it at the fair value. ;-D